Idea Exchange - FAQ
A. Idea Exchange is an innovation environment, hosted by Innovative, designed for users to submit, discuss, vote, and prioritize ideas to improve solutions for libraries. It is based on the UserVoice platform.
Idea Exchange allows the Innovative community to provide input regarding priorities for new areas of development as well as enhancements to existing Innovative products. It also enables Innovative to take more timely action on user-contributed ideas.
- Visit Idea Exchange at https://ideas.iii.com
- Click the Sign In link in the top right corner
- Click the Create an account link at the bottom of the pop-up box. While you can sign in with a Microsoft account, we recommend that you use your full business email address — the one associated with your Innovative library or consortium.
- Enter your email address
- Idea Exchange will display a numeric code (note this code AND leave the window open!) and send you an email with a verification link
- Go to your email and open the email from email@example.com with the Subject “Confirm email…” (Yes, really. It does look like spam.)
- Click the Confirm email link/button
- A new webpage will open asking you to enter the security code you saw back in step 5. Enter the code.
- The webpage will provide a “Login complete!” verification message
- Go back to the webpage you left open in step 5
- Fill out the boxes for name and password. The password must have at least 8 characters, one lower case character, one upper case character, one number, and one symbol ($, !, @, _, *, etc)
- Check the box “I agree to the terms of service”
A. Try pasting the link and/or resetting your password in an incognito browser window. Innovative loaded most of the accounts from Idea Exchange into UserVoice to preserve their participation in transferred ideas, and that has made it difficult for people to get into their accounts for the first time. Fortunately, it should be a one time work around.
A. Comments should add to the conversation by adding new details, considerations, or local experiences to the original idea.
It can be quite tempting to leave comments that simply say things along the lines of “I like this too” in order to increase the comment count. However, if that is the extent of your comment please simply vote for the idea, or find a way to expand on just what it is that you like in the idea or what problem it happens to solve for your library…or both!
Innovative’s product owners are also especially appreciative of use cases (both for and against an idea). If you explain the circumstances around how a given idea will affect your library, that can be extremely helpful.
A. Don’t despair. Archived ideas are still reviewed by Innovative product owners and have even been selected for development despite being placed in the archive.
Depending on the reason your idea was archived, you may also wish to submit a new idea that addresses feedback your original idea may have received throughout the commenting and review process. For example, one fairly common issue that can lead to an idea failing a review is it being too broad in scope. If that is the case you can try submitting one or more ideas that break your suggestion into more discrete pieces that might be able to be more easily developed.
A. Idea Statuses can refer to the following:
- No Status – Status has not yet been assigned
- Under Review – Innovative is reviewing the idea
- Planned – Innovative is planning to implement the idea
- Completed – Innovative has implemented the idea
- Already Supported – The idea is already supported in the product
- Closed – The idea has been closed
- Future Possibilities (Idea Lab) – The idea was migrated over from Idea Lab (the previous idea platform), where it had made it to the Future Possibilities stage.
- Product Review (Idea Lab) – The idea was migrated over from Idea Lab (the previous idea platform), where it had made it to the Product Review stage.
A. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always happy to take your questions.
— The Idea Exchange Team at Innovative Users Group