IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Alison Pruntel
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Wednesday, 11 January 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
*Also posting on Sierra listserv*

Hi all,

We noticed that in our browse display for subject searches, the 655/7 fst information is showing up (suppressed this in our bib display). See attached file for an example or see http://innopac.fauquiercounty.gov/search/d?puzzles+and+games.

I've looked at (but not comprehended) the documentation on the browse option (BROWSE[_itag]), but if I'm reading this correctly, and what I've experienced in testing, using BROWSE_d would allow me to display the fields that I actually want suppressed from this view...I think?

Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this? Admittedly, most of our patrons don't search using the subject index, and it's obviously been this way forever, but would like to fix if possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Alison

Alison Pruntel
Electronic Resources Librarian
Fauquier County Public Library
11 Winchester St.
Warrenton, VA 20186
http://fauquierlibrary.org
Attachments (1)
Comment
I'm quoting Bob ("Using a value of // says to display all subfields."), see below. When I used the //, everything did indeed display, more so than when I didn't have anything defined. Using BROWSE_d=655/a-z/ fixed the issue for me.

Dear Alison,

As the doc for the BROWSE wwwoption states, the values take the form:

BROWSE=[marctag]/[indexedsub]/[nonindexedsub]

You include the subfields you want to display, and omit the subfields you do not want to display. Using a value of // says to display all subfields.

I added this to your staging wwwoptions:

BROWSE_d=655/a-z/

...and you can see that the numeric subfields no longer display in the example search. You can alter this wwwoption as you see fit.

The absence of a BROWSE wwwoption means that what displays will be the index entry. Since $0 is indexed for MARC 655 on your system, it will display absent a BROWSE wwwoption that says otherwise. If you want your index rules adjusted, you will need to make the request through your Customer Sales representative, as changes to indexing can often incur a fee.

Just to clarify: wouldn't // mean *omit all* subfields? You said 'include subfield you want to display' and I didn't include any.
To follow up to my response to your comment, I heard back from III (Bob Duncan in fact). the values take the form:
BROWSE=[marctag]/[indexedsub]/[nonindexedsub]
You include the subfields you want to display, and omit the subfields you do not want to display. Using a value of // says to display all subfields. Hence it not working for me, as apparently $0 is indexed for MARC 655 in our system. It might not be on yours. :-)
Our BROWSE_d is set as '//' This was at the recommendation of Bob Duncan, as our subject display was also displaying MARC fields that we didn't want to have displayed. Good luck!
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Thanks Michelle. I did try setting BROWSE_d to // (that's 2 forward slashes) and it didn't seem to make a difference on staging (restarted in SDA and also restarted terminals).

With no browse_d set (inactive), and I do a subject search for puzzles and games, the brief browse (2) results are:

(1) Puzzles and games : Moscovich, Ivan.; 793.74 MOS
(2) Puzzles and games. (OCoLC)fst01919958 / fast : Moscovich, Ivan.; 793.74 MOS

If I set the browse_d to // and I do a subject search for puzzles and games, the results in brief browse are:

(1) Puzzles and games. / lcgft : Moscovich, Ivan.; 793.74 MOS -
(2) Puzzles and games. (OCoLC)fst01919958 / fast : Moscovich, Ivan.; 793.74 MOS
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. # 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!