IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Graeme Leng-Ward
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Thursday, 15 December 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
After upgrade to Sierra 2.4 last night the go to Next Record functionality has stopped working when browsing a list of remote records from Worldcat. My Display - Browse Option is set to Compact Browse. Has anyone else lost this functionality on upgrading to to Sierra 2.4.

So my remote Worldcat search might bring up say 20 results. I would normally open the first record and then quickly browse forward through them using the Ctrl+Close Bracket shortcut (for File> Next Record). And also browse backwards through the list with Ctrl+Open Bracket.

This functionality also fails to work with a Browse Query list of records. However this functionality does work when browsing through a list of records in a Create List review file.

It would help us if some other libraries on Sierra 2.4 could let us know whether they are encountering similar issues.

Regards,
Graeme

Graeme Leng-Ward
Data Services
University of Warwick Library
Coventry, UK
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hello,

So is this seen only after z39.50 search?

Thanks

Jim

James Campbell

Library Technology Services Dept.

Langsam Library

University of Cincinnati

P.O. Box 210033

Cincinnati, OH 45221-0033

Phone 513.556.1408
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I just ran our update from 2.3 to 2.4, and I tested the next record function with the OCLC connection records before and after the update, and it worked both times.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
We have the same problem after our upgrade to 2.4. We reported it in late November 2016 and III reported it is a bug in this version and it has been submitted to Software Engineering. The III ticket number in our consortial help desk ticket is III 495220.

Sorry for the late reply.

Kathleen Schweitzberger/University of Missouri-Kansas City
Comment
Thanks Kathleen for confirming this. Only cataloger/metadata librarians would notice this loss of functionality. Just to add to this the problem is only seen when you are in 'Multi Window Mode' (Admin-Settings-Windows) which is the mode all our catalogers use. There is no problem when in 'Single Window Mode'.

So the typical scenario is when you have a low quality bib record or brief bib order record that you want to overlay with a full record from say OCLC Worldcat. In 'Multi Window Mode' you should be able to Tile Vertically with the low quality record on the left, and the first remotely found record on the right - and then easily scroll through the remote records on the right while leaving the record that you want to overlay on the left. It is very useful functionality which we have used for years in Millennium and into Sierra until the latest upgrade to Sierra 2.4. It forces staff into a slower much more inconvenient workflow which is infuriating.

But Heh ho, cheers and a happy New Year to all,
Graeme

Graeme Leng-Ward
Data Services
University of Warwick Library
Coventry, UK
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!