IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. James Cho
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Tuesday, 01 November 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
Here at our university library, when we are discarding materials, we code them for suppression (Bcode3) and deletion (Bcode1) in the bib record. We code them as we make the discards, but we do not remove these bib records until the end of the year when we delete these records en masse. Sometimes, there are item records we wish to delete without deleting the bib records as we are keeping some items that are attached to the bib records. I was wondering how others do this. Do you first create a list for all those bib records which are coded for suppression and deletion then delete everything en masse? And then create a list for all those item records which are coded for suppression and deletion and then delete all those item records. Any comments would be most welcome.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi
We are on Sierra

We delete item records weekly (for those items that were billed and are we are never getting back) and monthly (discards and any other odd reason) and bib records monthly.

Essentially I create a list of item records that meet the reasons they are going (eg status billed or suppressed reason damaged), export stats that capture basically everything anyone could want to know about the item (for audit and stats tracking) and batch check-in those that may still have a checkout (eg the ones that are billed).

I go back to Delete Record and choose the Review List that has the items and delete choosing "remove item only". This leaves behind the bib records and the linked volume records (which is annoying because there is no way to create a list of empty volumes within Sierra).

Then I create a list of Bibs with no items (that are not ebooks, on order etc) and change all the Bcode3 to d to make sure I'm not leaving a mess in the catalogue.

At the end of the month we clean up all the Bcode3 bibs and update our National Library with our holdings.

It's pretty tedious and our previous system could do all this with about 2 or 3 reports that could all be pre-set and scheduled to run.

We are a large public library with 14 branch locations and a floating collection so if we don't keep on top of this the database quickly becomes a mess.

I have written procedures with screen captures if you are on Sierra and it is any help.

Cheers
Merindi
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. # 1
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Merindi,

I would appreciate the written procedures and screen captures you mentioned. My institution is working to identify and delete bib and order records that don't have item records. We have deleted quite a few item records in deselection projects, but some of those bib records weren't deleted due to order records being attached, and we have other stray order and bib records to identify and delete as well.

How did you create the list of bibs with no items, excluding eBooks and on-orders?

Julianne

julianne.newberry@rockhurst.edu
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!