IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Laurie Palumbo
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Friday, 23 September 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hello,
Our library uses ILLiad for Interlibrary loan. It is currently the procedure to make on-the-fly bib and item records in Sierra for the ILLiad materials so we can check out and keep track of items there too.
As we do not want patrons to be able to erroneously think they are renewing these items in Sierra (rather than through ILLiad), the ILL loan rule is set for no renewals. This is problematic for our ILL coordinator who can not change the due date of items in Sierra to reflect what is happening in ILLiad. This also results in patrons sometimes getting incorrect overdue notices from Sierra, because they have renewed the item through ILLiad but the Sierra record does not reflect that.
So...if you are still with me...a few questions:

1. Is there a way to allow the ILL coordinator to change the due date without changing the loan rule? or if we did change the loan rule, is there a way to prevent patrons from being able to renew these records through the "My Library Account" feature?

2. Do other libraries using ILLiad also check out their materials in Sierra? We are wondering if it is an unnecessary step that can be eliminated from our ILL procedure.
Thanks for your time and hope you have a great weekend,
Laurie

Laurie Palumbo
ILS and Catalog Librarian
Post Learning Commons and Drexel Library
Saint Joseph's University
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Laurie,

You can set up the loan rule for the ILL items to not allow renewals, but also set a renewal period in the loan rule, so that staff can override the transaction and get a new due date. See the information about loan rules in the manual. You'll have to determine if the ILL coordinator has the correct permissions to do the override to make sure it will work.

We use Sierra and ILLiad and make brief records for ILL items in order to check them out in Sierra. It is an extra step, but we think it's worth it. We have consistent notices and fines, and patrons can see their ILL items along with their other library materials when viewing their patron record.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have additional questions.
Sarah Vaughn
University of Northern Colorado
Michener Library Access Services
Comment
  1. Sarah Vaughn
  2. 3 years ago
Hi Laurie,
I actually had a reason to test this out and found there are some situations in which we can't seem to override to make a renewal happen. It may be that I'm confusing items that are set to never renew, and items that allow at least one renewal. Or we have some permissions that still need to be set up, since the manual does seem to indicate this is possible. I will do some more digging (I want to be able to do this here as well)! And my apologies if I've given you false info!
Sarah
This is great info Sarah! thank you for the clarification and pointing me in the right direction.
Hope you have a great week,
Laurie
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Our ILL loans are not tracked in Sierra. We just use ILLiad.

Patrons can request renewals in their ILLiad account. Circ desk staff use the ILLiad web client to perform circ transactions. ILL staff and students use the ILLiad desktop client.

While it's nice to have everything in one place, it's not worth the hassle for us given how few ILL loans we do for a small subset of our total population. Maybe if Innovative expands their NCIP (or whatever replaces NCIP) integration and OCLC jumps on board with ILLiad (or whatever it's replacement turns out to be), then this will all become a moot point.

HTH,
David
Comment
Thanks for your input, David.
Laurie
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
As follow-up to my previous reply, we did find that we had to ask Innovative to enable staff overrides of renewals blocked due to 0 max renewals. Once that was done, staff can override and the settings in the loan rule for first renewal period and additional renewal periods come into play.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!