IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Sheryl VanderWagen
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Friday, 26 August 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
I am interested in what policies you have (particularly if you are in a consortium) regarding management of the linked patron feature in Sierra/Millennium circulation. If you would be willing to share yours with me, I would appreciate it. And do you use this on a systemwide basis or library-by-library option (which is what I am looking at)?
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
We link patron accounts - specifically patrons under 18 w/the card of a parent or guardian card (a parent or guardian must assume responsibility for materials borrowed by a person under 18 years of age). We do inform the parent/guardian prior to linking. Linking allows patrons to access other linked cards by showing ID or library card for one of the linked accounts. If a linked patron record is blocked for any reason, all linked cards will also be blocked.

To link patrons 18 or older to other consenting adults, a single request to link form (see attached) must be completed and signed by all patrons being linked. This can be done at registration on a library card application or at any other time by completing the “request to link form.”

We keep the paper copies of the linking forms at our central library (we are a 3 library system).

Unfortunately, while linking is convenient for library transactions when you're in person, linked accounts are not accessible for patrons using the WebPAC to manage their account (holds, etc.). Mom or Dad still have to log in to each child's account to see what checkouts, holds, fines, etc., are on the linked accounts. While this has been an enhancement request from at least since 2012 (see #3009 and vote!) I am not holding my breath that this will ever be addressed by III.

Alison Pruntel
Electronic Resources Librarian
Fauquier County Public Library
11 Winchester St.
Warrenton, VA 20186
http://fauquierlibrary.org
Attachments (1)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. # 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!