IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Cathy Lamoureaux
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Tuesday, 28 June 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hi, all,

I have a question regarding searching for words with diacritics in Sierra Create Lists.

Although I cannot find anything in the Create Lists section of the Sierra online help manual that specifically addresses diacritics, based on the "Diacritics" portion of the manual section entitled "Advanced Word Search Syntax" I was under the following impressions:

-- A Create Lists bibliographic record search for a particular word in a MARC field, entered with no diacritical marks, will yield all the records that have that string whether it contains diacritical marks or not

-- A Create Lists bibliographic record search for a particular word in a MARC field, entered with diacritical marks, will yield only the records that have that string with those particular diacritical marks

What I am finding in actual practice is that a search for a word entered without diacritical marks only yields the records that have that word without any diacritical marks and a search for a word entered with diacritical marks only yields the records that have the word with those particular diacritical marks.

Has there been a change to Create Lists or did I just misinterpret what is supposed to be happening?

Cathy

Cathy Lamoureaux
Cataloger
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
lamoureauxc@carnegielibrary.org
412-920-4529
Comment
There are no comments made yet.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!