IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Wednesday, 15 June 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
Has anyone heard of anything like this? I've submitted a help desk ticket, but I'm not sure that it's the Sierra software that's at fault.

In the Sierra desktop client, while we were checking out three items to a patron, a fourth item was somehow checked out to him. This item appeared on the screen in the list of items being checked out, and it appeared on the receipt. It was the third of four items to appear. The book was on the shelf, nowhere near the circ desk. The author's last name and the patron's last name both started with the same first four letters, but that must be a coincidence.

It seems like the barcode scanner might be the source of the problem. Maybe somehow scanning one barcode caused the scanner to send that number and another one to the computer, or maybe the same barcode got scanned twice when the clerk pushed it under the scanner and then brought it back AND maybe somehow it scanned wrong on the second pass. I haven't been able to examine the actual barcode stickers of the items that were checked out to see if there's anything that could cause them to be read wrong sometimes. It feels like I'm grasping at straws with any explanation I try to come up with.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Phil

Phil Shirley, Cuyahoga Falls Library
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
It seems like the barcode scanner might be the source of the problem.

You've most likely identified the source of your problem. You may want to see if your scanner can be programmed to include a bit of a delay before attempting to read the next barcode. Some barcode schemes also support check-digits and scanners can sometimes be configured to reject a scan if the check digit doesn't match with what the scanner read.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. # 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!