IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Alison Pruntel
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Tuesday, 10 March 2020
  4.  Subscribe via email
I've been asked to prepare for closing our libraries due to COVID-19 -- what I'd have to adjust in Sierra. So all locations, not just one location temporarily (as described in https://csdirect.iii.com/documentation/tempclose.php and https://listserv.iii.com/read/messages?id=486303). Does anyone on the list have something like that already prepared? The things that come to mind...

Extend due dates until after we reopen
Notices - we run bills and overdues manually -
Clear holdshelf - we run this manually and have problems if not cleared
Do I have to adjust all the loan rules/rules for requesting so nothing can be placed on hold or just let that be, allow for holds?

I'm blanking at the moment so hoping someone has this info./has dealt with this before (extended weather closing for example).

Thanks,

Alison Pruntel
Manager, Technology & Materials
Fauquier County Public Library
11 Winchester St.
Warrenton, VA 20186
https://fauquierlibrary.org

alison.pruntel@fauquiercounty.gov

derek.brown@rhpl.org
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
changing the closed days table seems to take care of most of the notices.
we are not doing any holds lists so we are not triggering any hold notices.
we checked our expired holds notices since we don't want people getting those. We don't send them out but if needed, you can remove them from your loan rules.
we used create lists to extend due dates on all items that are currently checked out and not currently overdue.

elizabeth.gray@yolocounty.org
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
We are currently closing to the public for 2 weeks, but staff will still be working. (as of current situation, subject to change at any time.)

So far:

We are extending all library card expiration dates that fall within our closed period an extra 30 days.
We are turning off hold pickup notices for physical items. (but not for digital)
We are running a report of all items currently on hold, and will notify those patrons with email notifications that we will continue to hold those items for them until a week after we reopen.

We are still processing holds at the moment (that could change). Staff will just leave the items in bins, and wait to double-trap the in-transit holds until we reopen. (We've done this before for temporary closures) For the local holds, currently testing for best options; but ideally retrapping them when we reopen to generate an updated slip, pick-up date, and notice along with the in-transit holds.
If we decide not to allow patrons to place holds while we're closed, we'll update the system settings to prevent holds from being placed.

We don't have fines, so aren't overly concerned about the due dates, but are looking at options to extend as some patrons worry regardless. Depending on how long the library has to remain closed, we could also allow additional automatic renewals.

We are adding notifications to the PAC as well as the website.

We are lowering our hold ratios and purchasing additional copies of popular digital items with hold lists. (at least for the ones we're able to.)

-Renee

rpatterson@aclib.us
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Following! We have been talking about updating our days closed table for starters. We're going to backdate our check in of materials like we would for a snow day. Beyond that I don't know what we want to do about notices. Ours get set out automatically. I hope other people weigh in on what their plans are!

amiller@law.utexas.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!