IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Megan Kass
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Wednesday, 04 September 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}

Hi All,

I'm very new to using print templates, so please forgive a beginner for what is undoubtedly a silly question. How do you control the *length* of a template? I'm using Jaspersoft Studio 6.9.0.

Resulting Problem 1:

I'm trying to create a hold slip, and the slip ends as soon as the last line of text. My Circulation Department has strong feelings about this, since they like the slip to be longer,
so it can fit in the book better. I'm sure I could just add filler text to make it longer, but there must be a more professional way of doing that.

Resulting Problem 2:

I'm also creating a due slip and would ideally like to include text at the bottom of each slip advertising various library services. When I add a footer, the slip becomes almost 2 feet
long, with a lot of dead space between Detail 1 and the footer.

I've checked the iReport wiki, but I don't think the answers were there, probably because this is so obvious I should hide my head in shame. Help me IUG, you're
my only hope! Thank you!

-Megan

mkass@syossetlibrary.org
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
For a free text field like you describe I've generally placed those in a summary band of the template instead of the footer. I'm honestly not sure of the technical reason for doing that, I just began working from another template at some point that did that and continued the practice but it works. Here's a decent example of one if you're looking for an existing template to crib from.

As for adding spacing, inserting a text box filled with spaces/line breaks isn't a terrible approach. You can also make some adjustments under the edit page format option found under properties, but sometimes adjusting margins can then throw off the arrangement of existing template elements and it's occasionally easier to just add in the dummy text.

jgoldstein@minlib.net
Comment
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Jeremy,

That did it! Thank you so much! The summary vs footer thing was a big help. Thank you!

Megan Kass
Systems Manager
Syosset Public Library

mkass@syossetlibrary.org
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!