IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Alison Pruntel
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Thursday, 11 July 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
For some reason our spam filter is blocking all my @listserv.iii.com email, so I haven’t been seeing the responses. Thank you all for chiming in and also advice/examples sent by other systems

My process for billed items (which should probably be expanded to include other statuses) up until this point (stymied by the 4.3 issue, SIERRA29672 Create Lists searching against a review file searching data
in attached records fail) has been the following:

Find items that had status billed, rapid update so OPACMSG is b (back in 2009, we had III set it up so that any item with this fixed field set to “b” would be suppressed)

Find items that had OPACMSG b and had a status that is/was NOT billed, rapid update those to OPACMSG “-“ which is not suppressed

Run a list (store record type bib) against #1 to find bibs that don’t have the item status billed – these give me bibs that I don’t want to suppress, because they have attached items with various statuses,
not just billed

Using Global Update, I insert a 900 field with “sassafrastic” in the bibs I get in #3

Run a list (store record type bib) against #1 to find bibs that don’t have “sassafrastic” in the 900 field – this gives me bibs with ONLY billed items

Run a list (store record type as bib) against #5 to find any of these not suppressed and then suppress them

Run a list (store record type item) against #1 to find any billed items w/suppressed bibs that don’t have an imessage to send to tech services. This imessage tells circ staff to send these items to
our tech services department (they change the item status to that), who will check to see if the item needs to be repaired (usually long overdue/bad condition), or if our collection manager needs to order new copies/weed or replace with something different.
Those tech services staff members are then supposed to unsuppress the bib – change BCODE3 from “n” to the appropriate category if appropriate, remove the imessage, etc.

Run a list (store record type item) against those items I got in #7, to separate out any that don’t have a specific imessage about sending something to a different department that handles things for
the county attorney

Insert the imessage to send to tech services to what I got in #8

After all that, I have to go back to the list of bibs I got back in #3 and remove the “sassafrastic” 900 field

Find any items that have available status/loan rule 0 yet still have the imessage to send to tech services, have someone check on those

Are you exhausted yet? I am just typing this up. I assigned this task about 6 months ago to another staff member to handle, who finds it pretty overwhelming/lots of room for error, and then of course after we
upgraded to 4.3, can’t continue after step 2, because the search fails.

I’m trying to see if it makes sense to expand this beyond billed to damaged/missing, etc. (once the bug gets fixed) and can probably just modify the above to include these other statuses. But it will mean more
stuff coming to our tech services department to review (as more items will have this “send to tech services” imessage), which they won’t be happy about. But otherwise, I don’t know how I can otherwise have these things get checked back in and the bib gets
checked to see if it happens to be suppressed, and unsuppress it -- circ staff don’t have time and they don’t have permissions to update bib records. Really wish there was something more automated.

Alison Pruntel

Manager, Technology & Materials

Fauquier County Public Library

11 Winchester St.

Warrenton, VA 20186

https://fauquierlibrary.org

Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:07 PM

To: Sierra Users List digest <sierra@listserv.iii.com>; 'Innovative Users Group' <discussions@innovativeusers.org>

Subject: Suppressing Items w/Specific Circulation Status(es)

All,

We currently have it set up so that in the public catalog, we suppress any attached items that are billed. It’s a manual process that is performed on a weekly basis. We don’t apply this to items that are damaged, missing, etc., just billed,
which personally I feel is kind of weird. Why not other “undesirable” statuses? Anyway, if we find that all of a bib record’s attached items are a status that is billed, we will suppress until we replace items or delete, but otherwise, a bib in the public
catalog may have attached items that have available, missing, on search, etc. Patrons see that and may ask questions.

I’m just wondering if any of you are suppressing any/all items that have an “undesirable” (i.e., missing, long overdue, etc.) status, so that only checked out and available items show. And if a bib has only attached items that are all at
an undesirable status, what query are you using (in Create Lists vs. SQL) to find those so you can suppress the bib? Trying to wrap my head around how to do that so I can find bibs that
all of the attached items are either billed, missing, on search, etc.

Thanks for the feedback,

Alison

Alison Pruntel

Manager, Technology & Materials

Fauquier County Public Library

11 Winchester St.

Warrenton, VA 20186

https://fauquierlibrary.org

Alison.Pruntel@fauquiercounty.gov
Comment
There are no comments made yet.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!