IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Mike Monaco
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Tuesday, 30 April 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
Do you use "Verify heading" (Control-G) in the Cataloging module? If so, please consider supporting my request in Idea Lab that subfields i, 4, and 0 (zero) be retained as subfield e is, so we will not need to re-enter them when controlling a heading.

https://idealab.iii.com/alwaysopen/Page/ViewIdea?ideaid=8017&

Thanks!

mmonaco@uakron.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I also support the request to retain the subfields when verifying. Those of us who are not using an Authority Control Contractor are especially hampered by verification. Free-Floating Subdivisions are exactly that, and are often used at the discretion of the cataloger. Most Authority records with FFSDs are just placeholders and do nothing to help the user find what they are looking for and may even hamper their search when there are no "see" references in them. Thanks for suggesting this change, Mike.

vhaver@bennington.edu
Comment
Votes
Undo
On a related topic, our system does centralized cataloging and staff working in authorities have reported that repeatedly headings are coming up in Sierra as invalid when they are actually valid. I believe it is when they verify record headings in the EDIT bib mode of cataloging. Is there a way to edit and control when and/or how those verification codes are applied? The Headings Report > Invalid Headings report is also trim (4 entries) and it’s not stemming from that point. I have opened a ticket but I haven’t gotten far yet. Thanks

Sincerely,
Jennifer Schmidt
Library Systems Administrator
Milwaukee County Federated Library

jennifer.schmidt@mcfls.org
Comment
Votes
Undo
By trim I mean it's not too full of a report and the staff keep on top of it. jls.

jennifer.schmidt@mcfls.org
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.