IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Matthew Anderson
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Thursday, 21 February 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
Would appreciate some help or input on if anyone has heard of a similar issue or been through it themselves.

We moved from hosting our server here on campus to a migration in the cloud with a III Hosted setup in Mid-December. The migration went smooth, we had done this after the semester ended. It went smoothly for a few weeks but the week that students returned, we started to have remote access issues to our databases that has progressively gotten worse as time has went on, up to this point.

What happens is an issue that is all over the map and not narrowed down to one thing, other than it doesn't happen on campus, only off-campus.

It can be any browser, any time of the day, any computer, Internet Service Provider, any database but what happens is a user will try to access the the resources and get hit with an error page that the request took too long, essentially being denied access at that point and never even reaching the page where they may login with LDAP credentials to get authenticated as a valid user.

Hours later, that same database, that same person, same browser, etc .... may all work but then it may not work an hour later, a few hours later. It's a very volatile issue and we have combed through just about everything and ran our own IT Department through the ringer, making sure it wasn't them and getting several clarifications and proof, from them, that it wasn't a local IT issue.

It's been 3 weeks since we submitted the ticket III and there has not been much of a sense of urgency to figure out what's going on, just a few questions here and there.

We are grasping at straws right now, trying to find anything that would point us to what exactly the problem is and find a solution or hand the solution/culprit to III, since that has been slow going on the support end.

Thanks for reading and your help in advance!

maanders@svsu.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
0
Votes
Undo
Hi Matthew -- that sounds really frustrating. You didn't mention this specifically but are you using the WAM proxy for remote access?

If so, we aw something similar to this issue when we went to Sierra 4.0 last fall (we were already hosted at AWS). Sierra 4.0 thankfully got rid of so, so many of the 502 caching errors we had been seeing (yay) but we did see (sporadically) a 400 error / request headers too large / time outs something similar to what you describe after we moved to 4.0. It was a nasty issue because once it started, you would get errors even if trying to access the library catalog. Clearing the cache usually would work but it could be quite a persistent error. Our ticket was #676104 if you want to reference it.

We upgraded to 4.1 in December 2018 and that - OR some campus network infrastructure work that was undertaken at the same time - seems to have largely solved this issue for us, I still see it occasionally - especially on staff workstations or public service desk stations where the browser cache is never cleared. Clearing the cache and restarting the browser always solves it now.

good luck!

bjuhl@uark.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. # 1
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
0
Votes
Undo
We recently went to the Cloud and are having the same issues to a T. III is working on it and with the new Regions hopefully it will be ironed out.

ablake1919@gmail.com
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. # 2
  • Page :
  • 1


There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!