IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Kathy Farrell
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Wednesday, 09 January 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
My library yesterday was migrated to the new hosted server environment that Innovative has put in place. The owners of these servers have much more stringent security measures and it is impossible to access Millennium unless your IP address has been whitelisted. (This was previously only an issue with the character based system.)

This is presenting a big problem for my library since many of us work from home and we have students take laptops into the stacks frequently.

Has anyone else confronted this issue? How have you dealt with it? The migration team seemed unprepared for it to be an issue.

Any help or suggestion will be deeply appreciated.

kfarrell@gtu.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
If your institution has a VPN client to allow remote users to connect to the campus network, that would probably circumvent the issue. Otherwise, those varied users would have to request an IP address reservation from their home internet provider and then whitelist those specific IPs.

bwalker@jcu.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
We are having a similar issue with access to the Sierra Web, have tried using VPN, unfortunately our university split- tunneling so only university server traffic passes through the VPN. So I need to manufacture a way to force the Sierra Web access through the VPN. I do have a locally hosted proxy server to use, however have not had success at this point. Currently recieving "Connection refused" messages. The whitelisting of invidual IPs isn't an option for us as several who need this access travel.

Jennifer Peters
jennifer.peters@rockhurst.edu

jennifer.peters@rockhurst.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
We are preparing to migrate to hosted, and are anticipating this to be a problem for us as well. I can give them our campus IP ranges, but almost all of our staff are not on campus and working remotely from home. Our campus VPN also splits traffic and only proxies traffic to on-campus servers. We also have staff that travel (maybe again in the future) and need access. Right now our Limit Network Access table has one line--"all". We do have the client on a Microsoft Remote Desktop server which is on campus, so that should work, but there are some staff who still have the client installed on their computers at home. I would be interested in finding a solution as well.

Jennifer Faist
Director, Collections & Systems
ArtCenter College of Design Library

jennifer.faist@artcenter.edu

jennifer.faist@artcenter.edu
Comment
Votes
Undo
We are using Microsoft Direct Access. No issues accessing our hosted system from home, remote sites, or while traveling.When going hosted we do have to remember to to allow IPs not only from the Limit Network Access but also open a support ticket to have the hosted server host(?) allow the IP, both steps are necessary.

margot.natividad@pima.gov
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!