IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Louanne Bertrand
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Monday, 27 August 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
Good morning, folks,

We are currently using Oki Microline 320 printers to print spine and inside labels <sigh>. At present, my printer now has labels stuck inside and is basically unusable. I see the Dymo price ranges from inexpensive upward - we need the
less expensive option. Can anyone share their experiences and/or suggestions for the Dymo?

TIA,

Louanne

Louanne Bertrand, MLIS

St. Tammany Parish Library

Technical Services Manager

19612 Hwy 36

Covington, LA 70433

985.809.5773, ext 301

[email]louanne@stpl.us[/email]

louanne@stpl.us
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi, Louanne. When this has happened to us it has been an issue with the label stock, rather than the printers. Sometimes there are bad (or old) batches and the label comes too easily off the backing. You can test by bending the backing slightly and seeing how easily the labels pop up. Getting good label stock is the key to making sure this doesn't reoccur.

On the 320, the platen does not pop out. But you can disassemble the cartridge, the ink jet, the plastic guide, the plastic strip, and scrape off the labels enough to resurrect the printer. I've done it several times. It takes patience. WD40 can help.

strouse@law.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Thanks for your help, Mary!

louanne@stpl.us
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
We used to use the Oki printers at HQ and the Central library but we moved to the Zebra GK420t and never regretted it. I have had a special die created at LLT Label Products for the SLB format labels which is available to any library that wants to use it. These printers neve jam and it is a thermal transfer so the label never fades nor can you scrape off the print. Before we moved to this I tested the Dymo Direct Thermal labels and found them to fade when left in a hot car during the summer and it was worse and quicker when a label protector was applied. I will say the dash of my car during the summer was probably an extreme test for upstate New York but where you're located it may be worse. I purchase my Zebra GK420t's from Provantage and they cost $366. I purchase the labels from LLT Products in a 24 roll batch for $32.75 each (1578 labels/roll) and the Thermal Transfer Ribbon for $7.30/roll. It works on Windows XP to Win10 and in my opinion, the best solution for on demand spine labels. If you are doing just the Spine Label then you could probably go with a narrower printer and save some money. I don't have any experience with any other printer but the GK420t though. If you're interested and you also use the SLB format, I can help you set it up by remote control and I'll loan you a roll of labels and ribbon to get you started. See https://www.provantage.com/zebra-gk42-102510-000~7ZBRA6E2.htm

Rex Helwig
Finger Lakes Library System
607-319-5615
rhelwig@flls.org

rhelwig@flls.org

rhelwig@flls.org

rhelwig@flls.org
Comment
Rex, thank you! I'll need to talk to Brad, as the Zebra sounds terrific, but I don't know what he has left in his 2018 budget line, but 2019 is only a few short months away. We do use the SLB format, so your offer to assist in set-up will definitely be helpful. Again, thanks so much! Louanne

louanne@stpl.us
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
The GK print that is listed below has been disconintued at least according to the Zebra website, this is what they recommend now - https://www.zebra.com/us/en/products/printers/desktop/zd420-series-desktop-printers.html. Do you think this would work?

Thanks,
Denise
Azusa pacific

We used to use the Oki printers at HQ and the Central library but we moved to the Zebra GK420t and never regretted it. I have had a special die created at LLT Label Products for the SLB format labels which is available to any library that wants to use it. These printers neve jam and it is a thermal transfer so the label never fades nor can you scrape off the print. Before we moved to this I tested the Dymo Direct Thermal labels and found them to fade when left in a hot car during the summer and it was worse and quicker when a label protector was applied. I will say the dash of my car during the summer was probably an extreme test for upstate New York but where you're located it may be worse. I purchase my Zebra GK420t's from Provantage and they cost $366. I purchase the labels from LLT Products in a 24 roll batch for $32.75 each (1578 labels/roll) and the Thermal Transfer Ribbon for $7.30/roll. It works on Windows XP to Win10 and in my opinion, the best solution for on demand spine labels. If you are doing just the Spine Label then you could probably go with a narrower printer and save some money. I don't have any experience with any other printer but the GK420t though. If you're interested and you also use the SLB format, I can help you set it up by remote control and I'll loan you a roll of labels and ribbon to get you started. See https://www.provantage.com/zebra-gk42-102510-000~7ZBRA6E2.htm

Rex Helwig
Finger Lakes Library System
607-319-5615
rhelwig@flls.org

rhelwig@flls.org

rhelwig@flls.org

rhelwig@flls.org

drgehring@apu.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
I don't see why the new ZD420 series wouldn't work just as well as the GK420t printer. The ZD series comes in a traditional ribbon roll or the newer cartridge style with the cartridge. It looks like the ribbon cartridges run around $12 each as compared to the $7 rolls but the ease of cartridge replacement might tip the scale in its favor.

rhelwig@flls.org
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!