IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Sarah Brown
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Tuesday, 10 July 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
We have just started making the switch to EDI ordering (using QuickClick and FTP) this year. Our budget year is Jan-Dec. We have just discovered a problem, and are hoping someone has a work-around. I am also opening a ticket with iii.

We use the Status 1 in order records to indicate something is on order with the vendor, but is not being released this budget year, so we don't encumber the funds. However, we cannot FTP the files to the vendor until the Status = o, thus encumbering the funds.

What do you do? Not place orders that are outside your current fiscal year, or is there a workaround?

Thanks so much in advance!

smbrown@slcl.org
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Our member libraries use a variety of methods, but they generally revolve around the sort of approach you are using. Many do operate in municipalities where orders cannot be placed one fiscal year and paid for in the next, and in those case they do have to hold off on creating orders until July 1st. Others that are less stringent can carry orders over and allow their encumbrances to span fiscal years. And others manually go through their orders and and change the status of their records between '0' and '1' as they go through fiscal close.

The least confusing option, if it is available to you, is to just have a fund set aside that doesn't have to obey the same stringent rules (gift funds, friends money, trust funds, etc...) and use that for one fund for orders that span years.

jgoldstein@minlib.net
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I agree with Jeremy's idea above. Having a fund set-up that could span multiple FY's would be the simplest solution. If you're not able to do that my next thought would be to develop a batch update procedure wherein you'd change the status from o to 1 after you sent the orders via ftp. I'm not sure how you'd identify only the orders for next FY stuff. One option might be to include this information in your vendor marc profiles. We use Baker & Taylor, and publication date is available as a tag rule. Once you had that information in a searchable field you could use create lists and rapid update to change the order status periodically, before doing fund reports.

rcolbaugh@wcpl.net
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
I've been using EDI ordering for about 10 years now. My process for next fiscal year's orders depends partly on what the title is and when the selector puts it into their order cart. It's a bit manual, but has worked to find problem orders as well as next fiscal year items.

1) If within the last month or two of the fiscal year (May or June for us), and the B&T listed pub date is in July or later, I typically just don't download the order into Sierra. I leave it in a TS360 cart to be submitted in the new fiscal year.

2) If ordered earlier in the year, and the pub date turns out to be in the new fiscal year, I zero out the price and add a note to the order record reflecting the price and pub date. Zeroing out prices makes it so the $ encumbered is closer to what is hoped to come in during the current fiscal year.

3) I periodically go through existing "on order" records, that have been on order for a while, and check to see that B&T still has it on order for us, and what is going on with the title. I often find that either the pub date has changed or the publication has been cancelled. Since we have a 6 month backorder time frame with B&T, some orders have to be resubmitted (or reconsidered) because of pub date changes.

4) When I do fiscal close, I clear all encumbered funds, and then add back in the encumbrances for orders that did not come in. Then add back in the prices to the order records with zeroed out price fields.

rees@plsinfo.org
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!