IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Dan Lou
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Monday, 09 July 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hi,

I would like to share with you a new Webpac skin I developed recently. Most part of it is live at Palo Alto City Library's classic catalog site.

[img]https://github.com/fishbb/sierra-webpac-bclike-skin/blob/master/screenshots/webpac_main.png?raw=true[/img]

This project attempts to keep the consistent look of the BiblioCommons site and the Webpac interface, as well as to provide a mobile responsive and user-friendly Webpac.

Whether you are a BiblioCommons website or not, you can do something similar to enhance the look of your Webpac. I have published the project and a simple instruction in Github. My knowledge of Webpac comes from the former working experience at III. I like Webpac for the fact that most of the code is transparent to customers, and although the html/css code is not kept up to date, at least it is flexible enough for major modification.

The project is done because the Library discovered that there is need to keep Webpac as the other catalog interface after we launched the BiblioCommons site:

* To meet the needs of library customers who just want to have a basic catalog to search and borrow items.
* Some functions are only available in Webpac for now.
* The self registration web page where customer first request a library card online.
* The personal information modification web page where customers can opt in or out of SMS services.
* BiblioCommons uses APIs to talk to ILS. It is rare, but Webpac could serve as a backup in case the API services get interrupted.

And if both interfaces are open to the public, it makes sense to keep them look similar, so customers won’t have a jarring user experience when clicking around the library’s website.

I plan to clean up some of the code further, and add more localization components when I have time. If you have good advice, let me know or let’s collaborate on the Github repository.

Best,

Dan

Senior Librarian
Palo Alto City Library
dan.lou@cityofpaloalto.org

References
  1. https://github.com/fishbb/sierra-webpac-bclike-skin
Comment
  1. Dan Lou
  2. 10 months ago
I updated the code yesterday to make all material type text labels hidden in mobile view but visible in desktop view. Text labels tend to make the mobile view cluttered. With this change, you will see both the mattype icon and text label in desktop view, but only the icon in mobile view.

1. Alison Pruntel
  2. 10 months ago
Thanks for sharing Dan!

alison.pruntel@fauquiercounty.gov
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Dan - This looks good, but I was looking to see if you've added any new features in bib_display.html, and I tried View Bag and had problems:
http://cpalo.iii.com/requestmulti~S1/view/search~S1?/Xtime&searchscope=1&SORT=D/Xtime&searchscope=1&SORT=D&SUBKEY=time/1%2C32000%2C32000%2CB/frameset&FF=Xtime&searchscope=1&SORT=D&1%2C1%2C#close-overlay

I'm actually looking for features like export to citatin managers, so more appropriate to academics, but I'm checking the forums to see what others are doing.
Thanks,
Cindy Harper

charper@vts.edu
Comment
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Cindy,

Nice catch. I did have a newer version, but have not had the time to deploy it since our classic webpac is now rarely used. But I've corrected the page:
http://cpalo.iii.com/requestmulti~S1/view/search~S1?/Xtime&searchscope=1&SORT=D/Xtime&searchscope=1&SORT=D&SUBKEY=time/1%2C32000%2C32000%2CB/frameset&FF=Xtime&searchscope=1&SORT=D&1%2C1%2C#close-overlay

The issue is caused by the fact that some of the html files in Webpac do not inherit the web option we defined for style sheet. It is a bad design, but some odd pages like this, and others like modifying search pages etc. will need some extra touch. I hope III has a plan to fix those oddballs in webpac templates.

Dan

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.