IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Kathy Setter
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Tuesday, 19 June 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hello,
I've been getting requests from our libraries to add the value of items checked out to the bottom of due date slips. I know there has been discussions of this before, but I haven't been able to locate them. I have Phil Shirley's clearinghouse entry on how he did this with average values by itype. Has anyone else found a way to do this? Librarians are seeing slips from other library systems that show both today's value and what they've saved year-to-date and want the same. I am pretty sure the year-to-day is not possible as none of that data is stored, but some semblance of the "today you saved" has been worked out and I'd love to know how/what you did.
This is made really hard by the fact item price is not in the print template data library. I have submitted an idea to Idea Lab to add it; if you'd like to add your vote and comment if you agree this is valuable, please see it here: https://idealab.iii.com/alwaysopen/Page/ViewIdea?ideaid=4064

setter@ifls.lib.wi.us

setter@ifls.lib.wi.us
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
In Sierra 4.3 (recently released), in print templates for due slips, there are elements for the price of the item and the total price of all items on the receipt. I have not loaded this release yet.

Sierra 4.3 release notes: https://iii.rightanswers.com/portal/app/portlets/results/viewsolution.jsp?solutionid=190419114330110&page=1&position=2

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I used the always-helpful Karen Perone's template/advice.

Attached is our template.

We're actually not using the template yet (we have to revisit, had some reservations about showing avg. price and then customers using that to argue paying replacement fees), but I believe I used a combination of that annual avg. cost list (either ALA or PW) and then our avg. costs.

Alison

alison.pruntel@fauquiercounty.gov
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
I think you should be able to put a SQL query into the print template to get the price, and you might find someone who's done something like this (or who could tell you if you can't really do that).

The YTD savings is a cool idea. If you can do SQL queries from print templates, and if you got the help desk to set your circ transaction file to retain a year's worth of data (not good for privacy of course) then I think (???) you could query that for the user's checkouts and come up with this number. So, it could be possible. Another way would be to maintain a separate of these ytd values, but you probably don't want to do that.

Phil

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
  1. Guest
  2. 2 years ago
I voted for Jeremy Goldstein's idea in the Idea Lab - https://idealab.iii.com/alwaysopen/Page/ViewIdea?ideaid=3782
  1. Anna Dundas
  2. 2 years ago
I certainly would prefer to show the actual price from the item record rather than an average. So, I'd be interested if anyone has already figured this out.

anna.dundas@lpl.london.on.ca
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
I had posted our interpretation of Phil's setup on the Sierra list. There is no running total available and you will have to supply your own values. I think we used values supplied by ALA or some other library source for average values. Here's a recap:

Here's our segment with the prices:

<variableExpression><![CDATA[( $F{Item_Type}.equals("Regular Book") ? 24
: $F{Item_Type}.equals("Paperback Book") ? 5 :
$F{Item_Type}.equals("Magazine") ? 5 : $F{Item_Type}.equals("DVD") ? 20
: $F{Item_Type}.equals("Blu-ray") ? 28 : $F{Item_Type}.equals("CD") ? 16
: $F{Item_Type}.equals("Kit") ? 27 : $F{Item_Type}.equals("Toys and
Games") ? 27 : $F{Item_Type}.equals("Video Game") ? 24 :
$F{Item_Type}.equals("Playaway") ? 44 : $F{Item_Type}.equals("Playaway
View") ? 99 : 0)]]></variableExpression>

The values in (" ";) has to equal the definition you use for the ITYPE,
not the numeric value. The numbers that you see are the average cost /
default cost of an item for that category.

Attached are the print template and a screenshot or where to edit the values you see above.

Karen Perone, Rodman Public Library

flutebrarian@gmail.com
Attachments (2)
Comment
  1. Kathy Setter
  2. 2 years ago
Thanks so much Karen!

setter@ifls.lib.wi.us
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 4
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!