IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Jennifer Faist
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Tuesday, 22 May 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
Our runs of Bound Periodicals are spread out between two library branches and a storage location. They are only to be used in one of our branch libraries, so they have a status of Library Use Only. However, that makes them unrequestable. According to the manual page #105769, “Items with this status cannot be made requestable in WebPAC.” (Correct me if I am wrong, and you can change this by changing the Rules for Requesting.)

We would like to figure out a way to make them requestable, so that they can be put in transit from one location to the other or from storage and then copied or scanned by the patron at the desired location. Is there a way to do this, such as creating a new status similar to Library Use Only that is requestable? We would also like for this status to block on checkout that staff (but not student workers) can override.

Are there any libraries out there doing this? Please let us know your strategy for making Library-Use-Only materials requestable.

jennifer.faist@artcenter.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
After opening a ticket with Innovative, I have confirmed that it is not possible to make LIB USE ONLY (status 'o') items requestable. Making changes to the request rules cannot change this behavior. It is hard coded and not configurable.

So, as a workaround we made a new status called VIEW IN LIBRARY. Reference books and Bound Periodicals are given this item status and sticky status and are now requestable. This status pops up at check out with the message "Item status is VIEW IN LIBRARY. Clear it?" to which we choose "No" to continue without changing the item's status. The system then prompts to confirm the checkout with "Check out item anyway?"
Circulation staff and student workers can select "No" to cancel the checkout. (Or they can make an exception and choose "Yes" to check the item out to the patron which will pick up the 2-hour loan rules we have in place for overrides.) The only drawback is we cannot limit the ability to check the item out to only staff. Since there is no additional system block that will prevent checkout, we will have to rely on training for the student workers to deny checkout of items with this status.

Comment
Votes
Undo
If you give them a unique location or itype you could simply use your loan rules to ensure the items cannot be checked out.

bwalker@jcu.edu
Comment
Hi Brandon,

They do have a unique item type and location and we already have loan rules for 2 hours for these items which are used when the checkout is overriden by staff. What we want is that popup block message that says “Item is for Library Use Only. OVERRIDE. Do Not Override.” Only staff have the authorization to override the LIB USE ONLY status. Students do not have this authorization. Without the blocking by the status they would just check out for 2 hours with no intervention and students would be able to check them out to patrons.

Or maybe I’m not understanding what you are meaning by using the loan rules.

Jennifer

1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I misunderstood your initial post, apparently. Please disregard.

bwalker@jcu.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!