IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Friday, 30 March 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
If you use SQL with Sierra -- or if you've tried -- what have you found to be the most difficult? That could be things that weren't obvious at first, things that are more difficult than expected, things that aren't well documented, or whatever. This can be from the perspective of someone who's just starting, or it could be more advanced things that tripped you up (like some kind of report that's harder than you would expect).

I'd appreciate any stories about your experience learning to use SQL with Sierra, or your thoughts about how this goes for other people -- either the human side or the technical side.

Phil

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Innovative's table structures for SierraView and how they relate/don't relate to the way I interact with data in the SDA has been a real bugaboo for me. The SierraDNA document has been essential for trying to figure out which table the data is in and how many crazy joins I have to do to get all the various bits and bobs I need for a query. Also, Varfield is a pain.

bwalker@jcu.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
My biggest challenges have been the following: figuring out not only where certain data live, but the best (most efficient) table(s) to use; wading through SQL documentation/tutorials that mostly explain how to do things we aren't able to do with Sierra (e.g., create custom views); and finding the time to play around with queries and compare them to queries in Create Lists.

On the flip side, the most helpful thing I've found has been asking questions here ;)

Laura.Wright@colorado.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Pulling fund and location data out of order records probably tripped me up more than anything when I first encountered it. At least among things that are due to the data structure of Sierra as opposed to learning query basics.

Working with acquisitions data is what initially got me invested in learning SierraDNA (so I could easily work with data across accounting units) and not being able to directly pull basic data like funds and location from the order_record or order_view table and instead having to loop in the order_record_cmf table was simply one step too many for me at first.

For query basics, I still get thrown off occasionally over when to use a where clause and when to use a having clause instead.

jgoldstein@minlib.net
Comment
Agreed; the funds and orders are extremely difficult to work with.

As far as SQL goes, I've always gotten hung up on my JOINs, ever since I first learned them. Just something I can't ever seem to wrap my brain fully around!

arschlegel@vassar.edu
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!