IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Celine Har
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Friday, 23 February 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hello, we are an Australian Innovative site and we have subscribed to Encore as our present discovery layer.

Our subscription is coming up for renewal shortly, so we are now considering our options. I was curious about whether any other sites have implemented Encore in the past and then chosen to cease their subscription and implement an alternative? And if so, what and why did you select it?

Thank you in advance.

celine.har@slwa.wa.gov.au
Comment
This is very timely! We went live with Sierra and Encore in February of 2016. We just ditched Encore in January of 2018 for Bibliocommons as our new discovery layer. I assumed we could remove Encore from our maintenance plan and save about $10K per year. Unfortunately we were told that our contract was for 5 years of maintenance and Encore was bundled with the rest of the platform so there was no way we could remove it. Possibly since yours is up for renewal you'll have better luck. Check if Encore was listed as a separate line item on your contract and/or last maintenance bill.

martha.walters@cityofpaloalto.org
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Celine,

We had Encore from approximately 2007-2011, then moved to EBSCO Discovery Service. The main reason for the move was that our librarians wanted a true federated search integrating all materials (books, articles, etc). At the time, Encore had a tabbed setup--results for the books and catalog materials were on one tab, then database/article results were on a second tab. Our librarians wanted the results in one results list, rather than two tabs. The "Encore Duet" option was not yet available, so we opted to discontinue our Encore subscription.

Two other, lesser, factors:
1) Our Encore server needed to be replaced, and that was an extra expense that EDS did not require since it is cloud-based
2) Our consortium (OhioLINK) negotiated member pricing with EBSCO which was a savings compared to Encore

I'll be happy to try and answer any specific questions you have.

Leigh

leigh.duncan@wright.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Hi Celine -

We have as well. Feel free to send any specific questions to me.

Heather

hgfisher@svsu.edu

hgfisher@svsu.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
To my knowledge, Innovative is working on a 'next gen discovery interface/layer' and I believe it is scheduled to launch sometime this year??? Just something to ask Innovative about before you make any move!

eeva.stierwalt@lpl.london.on.ca
Comment
  1. Guest
  2. 2 years ago
Apologies, didn't realise my name wasn't attached to the previous comment
- Celine
  1. Guest
  2. 2 years ago
Thanks for the heads up Eeva, we might send a query to our sales rep to see if they can shed any more light on this.
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
We are moving away from Encore this fall. Their "next gen" catalog is too late in arriving and doesn't seem to have any compelling features, at least not any that they can tell us about. Also, the support we haven't received with Encore problems over the past year has been extremely discouraging. We would consider moving back if Innovative comes out with a fantastic product.

sfrieldsmith@saclibrary.org
Comment
We are moving to Pika (Marmot Libraries Network). We looked at lots of options over the years, and Pika seems like the best fit. I'm surprised at how "fast" administration has moved on it. (Fast for us is seeing something new and committing in less than 6 months.) Everyone is really excited about it.

sfrieldsmith@saclibrary.org
  1. Guest
  2. 2 years ago
Apologies, didn't realise my name wasn't attached to the previous comment
- Celine
  1. Guest
  2. 2 years ago
Hi Sarah, which alternative are you going to and did you consider many options before selecting the one you did?
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
We moved to Sierra and Encore almost 5 years ago. We've been very happy with Sierra but a bit let down with Encore - especially over the last 6-9 months. We can't get connections to work that previously worked for 3-4 years and support wasn't overwhelming. That said, we like the idea of a vendor neutral catalog/discovery/search layer. Plus our Faculty have really embraced Encore and are using it.

Anyone know where I can learn more about the new Encore product?

Thanks everyone,
MaryElizabeth.Schaub@mville.edu

maryelizabeth.schaub@mville.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!