IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Laurie Palumbo
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Friday, 02 June 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hello,
We migrated to hosted last week. Previously, staff used vpn through our university for off-site Sierra access but now that we are hosted, our local IT is resistant to supporting that option.
AWS is asking us to submit the ip address of every Sierra user to gain access, which we can do for on-campus or those working from home but it does not seem feasible or practical to add an ip for every instance, particularly something temporary like a conference. How do other libraries manage off-site access to Sierra when hosted by AWS?
Thanks,
Laurie

lpalumbo@sju.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
We just migrated last week, and only found out *after* migration that Innovative would limit Sierra client access by IP (the pre-migration materials I was given made it sound like only Admin Corner access would be so limited :(

For the time being, I'm suggesting staff who want to use the client from off site leave their on-campus work desktop computers turned on and remote into the computer itself via Windows remote access (which our campus IT supports if signed into VPN).

However, I just found out that another site in our consortium was able to "insist" that Innovative open client access to the public, and have emailed our migration person to see if we can get the same.

prestonc@ohio.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
This discussion intrigues me. We will be moving to hosted on June 20 and we are OK for access as long as we are using the system from one of the 3 library buildings. But with this discussion, I'm wondering how this will work for our bookmobile that uses a cellular data connection. Have any hosted sites had to deal with this connection scenario and how did you solve it?
--Karen Perone, Rodman Public Library

flutebrarian@gmail.com
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
We too recently switched to Innovative hosting. And only a few weeks before the switch, we were surprised to learned that we would need to register all IP addresses in advance for access to the Sierra application. As Carrie said, the communication from the migration team only mentioned that SSH and direct SQL access would be limited to known IPs and CSDirect echoes this ... but neither mentioned the Sierra application being similarly restricted. But after pushing the matter and expressly stating that we recognized the risk in doing so, Innovative agreed to open access.

mattp@ohionet.org
Comment
Same here, Carrie. The communication we received only mentioned SSH and SQL, so only those staff were able to use Sierra after the migration took place. It took us over a week to resolve all the issues we had from going hosted.
Thanks for your suggestions.

lpalumbo@sju.edu
Thanks for your insight, Matt.

lpalumbo@sju.edu
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
We are hosted, but still on Millennium. We were also asked to submit IP addresses for staff, but we don't use static IP's, and that would have been impossible (our IT dept. is also reluctant to issue static IP's). Innovative agreed to use the IP ranges for our VPN, libraries and internal wi-fi. I have assumed that the situation will be the same if we move to Sierra. I hope that is the case.

tkeagan@ucsc.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
AWS is asking us to submit the ip address of every Sierra user to gain access

I thought I would submit an update on how our move to hosting went for our bookmobile in particular. Yes, we had to submit the IPs for all the computers that would be accessing Sierra, SSH, and SQL. All staff computers at our library go out to the Internet through one gateway IP so that was easy. Our bookmobile uses a cellular network and the IP would change depending on the tower they were using. I contacted our carrier (Verizon) and they were able to assign a single IP to our MiFi devices. I submitted that IP to Innovative and they are now able to access the system as well as they did previously.
--Karen Perone, Rodman Public Library

flutebrarian@gmail.com
Comment
  1. martha walters
  2. 5 months ago
I'm wondering if you had any difficulty with PGAdmin after moving to AWS? We submitted our IPs and Innovative says CloudOps have confirmed they are permissioned, but both myself and a 3rd party vendor can no longer connect to the database using the same PGAdmin settings we used before. Were there any updates you needed to make to your PGAdmin settings?

martha.walters@cityofpaloalto.org
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!