IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Tasha Bales
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Saturday, 29 April 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
For those who have done RFP's recently (especially Sierra vs. Alma), why did you choose Sierra Why did you reject the competitor system? If you can reply with respect to the major pros, cons or dealbreakers you identified, I'd be very interested in hearing from you. Off list is fine.

I hope I haven't violated any list rules and hope this is not a duplicate (I was sure I posted this question already, but can't locate it anywhere).

Thanks for your time,

--
Tasha Bales
IT Systems Librarian, Learning Technologies
Information Technology Services
University of California, Santa Cruz

tkeagan@ucsc.edu
(831) 459-2005

http://its.ucsc.edu/library/

tkeagan@ucsc.edu
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
If it's not a violation of any rules as Tasha mentioned, a reply on-list would be greatly appreciated. Or, off-list but including me. :) We're very interested, too. Thanks! 

Arianna SchlegelMetadata & Systems LibrarianVassar College

arschlegel@vassar.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Hi Tasha,

We haven’t done a RFP, but are on Millennium and in the process of exploring migration options. I would also appreciate hearing any feedback on this to the list.

Here are some things some things we thought were worth considering when looking at a cross-vendor migration:

Data Extraction/Porting Fees
How much will it cost to export your data?

Statistics
Is it possible to convert/migrate circulation data?

Already Purchased APIs and Modules
The cost of re-purchasing functionality for a new system and the time to redo all of the setup should be included in any overall cost analysis.

Third Party Integration
Mobile apps, discover layers, catalog enhancements, etc. would require additional up-front financial costs and staff time in order to reintegrate them.

Training
The entire staff would need to be retrained on how to use the new software.

Time and Effort
Same-vendor migrations are much easier and faster because data mapping is already known and system settings are fairly similar. In cross-vendor migrations, data fields do not match up, system architectures are not the same, systems settings do not transfer, and much more time and effort goes into figuring out how to set up the new system and how to transfer the data fields. Also, more care, attention and time are needed to clean up data prior to a cross-vendor migration because field mapping is not as straightforward as in a same-vendor migration.

Jennifer Faist
ArtCenter College of Design
jennifer.faist@artcenter.edu

jennifer.faist@artcenter.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
I'd love to hear from others on this issue. Ever since the move to the forums, it seems like there is less activity on this list. :(
Thanks for your time and consideration. --Tasha

tkeagan@ucsc.edu
Comment
  1. Guest
  2. 2 years ago
Great point, thank you! I had been a subscriber to some of iii's lists, including load-profilers, but was spontaneously unsubscribed and haven't been able to re-subscribe even though I am the site coordinator (I get error messages). Guess I'll open a ticket for that.

In any case, thanks for reminding me of the Sierra list, which may be a good place for me to pose my question. --Tasha
  1. Guest
  2. 2 years ago
I'm subscribed to some of Innovative's own distribution lists, and it is my impression that traffic on those lists, especially the Sierra users list, picked up after IUG's move to the forums.
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
I think it is harder to read and reply in the new forums which may be keeping people from participating as much.  I get the emails and an RSS feed, but it isn't the same.  I liked a plain text format too.
Heather--------------------------------------------------
Heather Parker
Evening Circulation Supervisor & Inter-Library Loans
University of San Diego School of Law
5998 Alcalá Park
Legal Research Center, Office 117
San Diego, CA 92110-2492
(619) 260-4600 x6608 [office]
[email]discussions@innovativeusers.org[/email]> wrote:

New Reply Added

Tasha Bales replied to the discussion Sierra vs. competitors

Hello,

This is a notification to let you know that Tasha Bales has replied to the discussion on the site. You may find the snippet of the reply below:

I'd love to hear from others on this issue. Ever since the move to the forums, it seems like there is less activity on this list.

Thanks for your time and consideration. --Tasha

[email]tkeagan@ucsc.edu[/email]

http://innovativeusers.org/iug-forum/sierra-millennium-encore/10416-sierra-vs-competitors.html#reply-10474"">Read this discussion

This email was sent to you, because you have subscribed to the discussion.

To unsubscribe, please http://innovativeusers.org/iug-forum.html?controller=subscription&task=unsubscribe&data=dHlwZT1jYXRlZ29yeQ0Kc2lkPTMwNjcNCnVpZD0yMDQ5DQp0b2tlbj0zZTEyNTJkODgzYzI2ZmRlZGQyNDAzZGZiN2UxODZlMw==";">click here. http://innovativeusers.org/iug-forum/profile.html#Subscriptions"">Manage subscriptions.

hparker@sandiego.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
I'll share some of my own views--these are not spoken from any sense of "official" from the CSU.

Additionally, I'm writing from a memory that is now 2 years old. I dearly hope that Innovative has extended and improved their products for consortial operations.

I was not deeply involved in the process, but I read Responses and attended Vendor Presentations.

Libraries who remain single-library systems have a different perspective--generally--from consortial groups.

The California State University stepped into the process (of evaluating and selecting) _together_. For various reasons, they were commited to a consortial solution.

For various reasons, at the time of RFP, Ex Libris offered a more robust consortial solution than Innovative. OCLC offered an effort that was less compelling than Ex Libris or Innovative, even though the OCLC solution had key features for consortial operations. I have strong support for OCLC, but in this process, their product was the least desirable to me.

Sirsi/Dynix was not a finalist, but I wonder what their product now would be.

For stand-alone libraries, I think the dynamics are different. Personally, it would be hard for me to imagine moving from Mill/Sierra to Alma. But that's in part because Alma is -- at this point -- a very click-heavy system.

So the factors, strengths, weaknesses depend in part upon whether the Library is a stand-alone system, or will be part of a consortium.

mbraden@calstatela.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!