IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. IUG Announcement
  3. Wednesday, 25 January 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
Recently, we requested custom programming to address the concerns we've heard about the IUG Forum. I think these changes will make a big difference, and will make the IUG Forum much easier for everyone to use.

I just found out that the custom programming we requested is done; I haven't even had a chance to test all of these items yet, but I wanted to let everyone know what's going on. Here is a list of the customizations:

Custom programming:
1. For notification emails, the junk at the beginning of the subject line has been removed so it's easier to see what it's about.

2. For notification emails, the name of the person who posted something is in the "from" field so that it's easier to see who posted it, and the forum address is in a "reply-to" field.

3. When you subscribe to a category or to the whole forum, you will get email notifications of all replies and comments.

4. When a post or reply is received via email, if the "from" address matches the email address of a web site user, it will be posted it as that user, as if the person had logged into the site and posted.

5. The email address of the person who submitted a post or a reply or a comment displays in the forum, whether they have an account in the forum or not.

6. Digest emails contain the sender, subject, and content (body) of each post, not just a list of subjects.

7. Digest emails contain replies and comments, not just posts.

8. You get email notifications of your own posts if you're subscribed.

9. The "comments" boxes don't display until you click "add comment" (there used to be one under the original post and one under each reply so you had to scroll past a lot of wasted space).

Also, we made configuration changes recently to address a couple of issues:

A. Greatly decreased the time it takes notification emails to get to you.

B. Decreased the space at the top of an email body so it's easier to see what it's about.

Please let me know if you notice any problems or have any questions or comments.

I have seen a couple of weird things in digest emails that I'm going to get fixed (for one the body was blank except for the header; another had an error instead of the poster's name).

Phil
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hooray! Thank you!!!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. IUG Announcement
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
What a fantastic set of improvements! Thank you for continued work.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. IUG Announcement
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
EXCELLENT!!! Thanks so much Phil for your announcement and for all the work you and Mohamed Ragheb have done on the IUG Forum!
One thing I'd like to point out is that this email did not have your email address in the FROM. It states:Innovative Users Group [email]discussions@innovativeusers.org[/email]So that part is not fixed as yet.
Thanks again Phil!!!
Comment
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. 3 years ago
If you reply by email, what you send will be posted as a reply, like Eeva's "EXCELLENT..." above. That's assuming that your reply has the post number in the subject line, which it willy have if you reply to a notification about the post or about a reply; however, it won't automatically have that number if you reply to a notification about a comment, which unfortunately doesn't have the number in the subject line. We'll get that fixed.
So, if you reply by email, it is stored as a comment? But if you reply while logged into the forum, it is a response?
I am also getting replies in my email since I'm subscribed to the Announcements Category!
It also identified me from my email address!!! This part is working!!!
And, I replied from my email and it worked!!! YAY!
  1. more than a month ago
  2. IUG Announcement
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Thank you for listening and addressing our requests. Very much appreciated!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. IUG Announcement
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
This is what it looks like when someone goes to the web site and posts without logging in. You have to type in an email address to do that, and that address should display now.

Phil
Comment
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. 3 years ago
But that email address doesn't appear. We'll get that fixed. (People wanted a way to get in touch with anyone who posted.)

By the way, I'm not logged in as I post this.

Phil
  1. more than a month ago
  2. IUG Announcement
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!