IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Renee Brumett
  2. IUG Announcement
  3. Tuesday, 26 November 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
I know it's a short week for some of us, but don't forget about submitting your nomination for the 2020-2021 IUG Steering Committee!

The deadline is midnight (EST), December 2. Please submit your nomination at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/IUGnominations.

We need some amazing individuals to continue the leadership of this great community. I've interacted with many of you over the years and I know you all are amazing!

Just to share a little of my experience, the first time I ran for Member at Large on the steering committee, I was just looking for a way to get involved. I had served as a Functional Expert (pre-Idea Lab days), hosted a Birds of a Feather session at the annual conference and interacted a little on the listservs. I remember not being sure if I was up to the challenge and I wasn't even sure what all I would be doing, but I decided to throw my name in the hat.

And I didn't get elected... :(

But over the next year I became more active on the IUG lists, submitted a proposal to present at the IUG conference and continued work as a Functional Expert. I decided to run again, managing my expectations, but this time I was elected. :D My two years as a Member at Large were so rewarding and fascinating that I recommend it to everyone. I was there when we began discussions about the possibility of a system like Idea Lab. I got to see the union (and the work that went into it) of the Polaris Users Group and IUG. I got to have a small part in what it takes to put on a conference like ours.

Near the end of my term, a couple of past IUG Chairs approached me about running for Vice Chair/Chair Elect. I would never have considered it without their prompting, but I'm so glad I did. I won't lie, it's hard work -- and a LOT of work -- but it's grown me personally and professionally in a way I would never have seen within my duties at my library. And I know that my time and effort have helped other individuals and libraries.

One thing that's been reinforced time and again in my almost 5 years on the steering committee is how many people it takes to make this community great. Being the chair of it isn't a solo job -- there's a great team and countless individuals helping to make everything happen. There's always someone to go to for advice and perspective. You don't carry any burden alone, you don't face any project by yourself. This is a community -- a community of smart, energetic, enthusiastic, witty people.

Consider stepping up your involvement in this community and submit your name for election to the Steering Committee. If you're elected, you'll have lots of help, I promise.

Need more details? https://www.innovativeusers.org/about/committees-and-elections

More questions? Ask any member of the current steering committee: https://www.innovativeusers.org/about/steering-committee-volunteers

Renee Brumett
Springfield-Greene County Library
IUG Past Chair

reneeb@thelibrary.org
Comment
There are no comments made yet.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!