IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Kathleen Schweitzberger
  2. Forum Feedback and Help
  3. Tuesday, 16 August 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
I would like opinions on whether the membership thinks this format is working for good discussion and solutions to problems and issues with using III products. Maybe the Steering Committee should do a survey?

I don't think it is working as well. I get the email notifications and do then go over and see if there are any responses but I am seeing lots of questions without any responses. I think people read the email but aren't going over to the forum.

My boss who is younger than me actually commented that forums, Google groups, actually remind him of going back to the bulletin board discussions of the late 80s and early 90s. And he (and I) remember how excited everyone was with discussion lists.

Any thoughts?

Kathleen Schweitzberger
Head, Cataloging and Preservation
ILS Coordinator
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Comment
  1. Guest
  2. 2 years ago
Hi Phil and all,
I totally agree with all that Tina wrote (2 days ago, can't see date). The listserv was much more convenient and I avoid the Forum completely.
The steering committee work is much appreciated and it is a shame to put so much effort into something that people don't seem to like or want to use.
Regards,
Isla
Isla Jordan, Systems Librarian
Carleton University Library
isla.jordan@carleton.ca
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. 2 years ago
Thanks for your comments, Tina. We've gotten custom programming to make a number of improvements to the forum, and we can do more. Could you tell me some of the things you don't like and how they might be improved?

There were a number of considerations in the steering committee's decision to replace the listserv with the forum, though it was precipitated by the fact that the server needed to be replaced. The forum has features that the list didn't have, and we've done a lot toward replicating functionality from the list. If there's something you wish the forum could do, I'd be glad to try to get that functionality added.

Phil

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Totally agree
I truly hate the current format. It's considerably more effort to use the forums -- I can't simply scan subject lines and read or delete. Logging in, although not an onerous task, is one more barrier to easy participation. The forum email I received today included a link to a question/discussion that appears to be invalid -- I got a 404 when I clicked on it.

At a time when we are trying ever so hard to provide friction-free experiences for our users, why are we adding more friction to our own user experience?
  1. Guest
  2. 3 years ago
I miss the old format. I want to see ALL the questions and ALL the responses. I don't want to have to log in to view responses. Is there any way we can opt in to receive everything via email like we used to?
There are no comments made yet.
Sorry, the discussion is currently locked. You will not be able to post a reply or a comment at the moment.