IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. Forum Feedback and Help
  3. Thursday, 30 March 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
Some people have suggested that we disable the comments feature on the forum. What do you think about that?

In some older discussions here, the comments and replies are very confusing to sort through, but I think the way people use comments has changed. There used to be big boxes in the forum where you could type in comments below the original post and below each reply, but now we've hidden them. I think those boxes encouraged people to submit comments where they probably should have submitted replies. In newer discussions, people seem to be using comments a lot less, maybe at an appropriate level.

It can be useful to have the ability to leave a comment on a post or a reply, like you can do on some other platforms, and I would be hesitant to disable a feature simply because there was some initial confusion about the best way to use it.

Another issue with disabling the comments feature is that this would hide all the comments that people have made, unless someone went through and converted each one to a reply; this would be a lot of work, and could mess up the context for them.

I'm not against disabling comments; I just want to make sure that people have plenty of opportunity for input on this, and that people don't judge the comments feature only on how it was used when the forum was new and none of us were used to having two levels of feedback on a post.

Also, there are two separate settings, one to allow comments on the original post, and the other to allow comments on replies.

Phil
IUG forum manager

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Some people have suggested that we disable the comments feature on the forum. What do you think about that?

Because you can quote portions of threads/responses I don't see any reason to keep comments around.

wosborn@clcohio.org
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Hi Phil,
Thank you for giving us this forum to speak. I still personally think the comments are distracting and unnecessary, but I certainly won't fight to the death to have them removed if others find them useful. I just have never seen comments on any other forums I've encountered, so I'd welcome a chance to see a system where they are implemented and work really well - it might help change my mind about them. If you - or anyone else! - has a great example they could point me to, I'd really appreciate it.

Again, thank you for all of the work you have done and continue to do to help improve this venue, Phil.

EDIT: I realize that I've encountered this exact situation a lot with stackoverflow.com - but, I suppose I've never really cared for them there, either! :)

arschlegel@vassar.edu

arschlegel@vassar.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Upvoting Wes Osburn's comment.

Mia.Massicotte@concordia.ca
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
If you can keep the comments on the older posts (otherwise they go away), I say get rid of them, as I think people (including myself) accidentally comment versus replying.

Thanks for all that you've done/are doing to make the IUG forum a positive experience!

Alison

alison.pruntel@fauquiercounty.gov
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
As a user I'm in favor of leaving the inline comment feature available, it's good that it's hidden now and only activated as needed . that feature provide a nice way that it’s actually used specially for longer discussions, if a post have 10 replies and I want make a comment to reply number 5,I will add a reply as reply number 11 which makes it hard to read and not organized, I have to scroll up and down. Instead with the inline comment feature I can easily insert my comment in the middle where it should be and it will make it easier to read down the road for someone who just start reading the whole discussion.
similar to what you see in Facebook and any modern Forum platform , Comments vs replies on Facebook

no wonder why even email platform systems such as outlook offering this feature as well
inline comments for outlook

In my opinion this feature makes navigating through conversation threads easier. it's a matter of us start utilizing it to gain the benefit from such a feature.

Thanks

MRAGHEB@cuyahogalibrary.org
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Submit Your Response
Upload files or images for this discussion by clicking on the upload button below. Supports gif,jpg,png,pdf,ppt,pptx,doc,docx,xls,xlsx,,txt,rtf,jrxml,zip
• Insert • Remove Upload Files (Maximum File Size: 8 MB)
You may insert polls into your post. The poll would then appear in the post.
Vote Options
Captcha
To protect the site from bots and unauthorized scripts, we require that you enter the captcha codes below before posting your question.