IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. Forum Feedback and Help
  3. Thursday, 30 March 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
I just closed an old discussion about the IUG Forum so I'm opening this new one. Everyone's comments have been very useful, and we've tried to address them as much as possible.

What comments do you have about the forum? What things do you like, and what are some ways you think it should be improved?

Below is a list of improvements that have been made, followed by a list of a few possible improvements I've thought of. What do you think of these?

Improvements made

Email notifications
• There's no more long delay between posting and email receipt.
• The body of an email notification has less wasted space at top.
• The "from" field now has name of the sender.
• Subject lines have had the junk removed and [IUG] added.
• Email notifications of comments have been added.
• All subscriptions now include replies and comments.
• Contents of posts have been added to digests (they used to have only the subject lines).
• Replies and comments have been added to digests.
• You now get email notifications of your own posts.

Web site
• All posts, replies, and comments display email address at the end.
• On the page where you read a post, the comments boxes have been hidden (there used to be a big box to write a comment below the post and below each reply).

Possible improvements to make

General
• Remove extra blank lines inserted by people's email programs.
• If possible, come up with a more reliable way to remove quoted message supplied by people's email programs, rather than depending on the person to add "end reply" to have everything after that stripped out.

Posting by email
• Add addresses so you can post by email to other categories.
• Put these addresses in the "from" field so you can reply to an email notification to post for every category, not just Sierra/Millennium/Encore.

Web site
• Give a warning if an attachment is not allowed (currently it just doesn't attach it and doesn't tell you; attachment limits are 2 MB, file types gif, jpg, png, pdf, ppt, pptx, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, , txt, rtf, jrxml).
• Give useful error pages instead of displaying a 404, such as when a post has been removed, when you're viewing a private page and you log off, or when you're trying to view a private page but you're not logged in.

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Also, the user profile "card" for someone on the forum doesn't seem to offer a way for you to view all posts by that person. This is helpful when I'm looking for something and I can remember who posted it, but I can't recall the specific details of what they posted.

wosborn@clcohio.org
Comment
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. 2 years ago
Thanks for mentioning those things, Wes. In the past we have gotten custom programming to make changes like that, and I'll make a note of those for next time, though I don't think anything will get done until after the IUG web site project is done. Phil

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 6
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Also, the user profile "card" for someone on the forum doesn't seem to offer a way for you to view all posts by that person. This is helpful when I'm looking for something and I can remember who posted it, but I can't recall the specific details of what they posted.

wosborn@clcohio.org

You can do that by clicking on Users then search for the user you like, you will see all posts, replies made by this user, or chat with this user if you wish. In addition to you can follow this user via RSS feeds.

http://innovativeusers.org/index.php/iug-forum/profile/6688-wosborn-clcohio-org/questions.html

Thanks

MRAGHEB@cuyahogalibrary.org

MRAGHEB@cuyahogalibrary.org
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 7
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Submit Your Response
Upload files or images for this discussion by clicking on the upload button below. Supports gif,jpg,png,pdf,ppt,pptx,doc,docx,xls,xlsx,,txt,rtf,jrxml,zip
• Insert • Remove Upload Files (Maximum File Size: 8 MB)
You may insert polls into your post. The poll would then appear in the post.
Vote Options
Captcha
To protect the site from bots and unauthorized scripts, we require that you enter the captcha codes below before posting your question.