IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Donna Peterson
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Wednesday, 04 January 2017
  4.  Subscribe via email
I am tasked with doing a one time Data Sync Collection project with OCLC. I have sent 3 files to OCLC of the bibliographic information. My questions relate to what I do with the information that I will eventually get back from OCLC. The history of our catalog database over the last 15-20 years is that initially we were a DRA library using the Library of Congress as our bibliographic utility. All the bib records were assigned a DRA record number in the 001 field. A couple of years later we migrated to III's Millennium. We did a huge opening day collection about the same time with B&T which we then started to use to catalog most of our materials. We also had started using OCLC on a limited basis. At that point we had DRA record numbers, B&T record numbers, and OCLC record numbers in the 001 field. We then became full fledged OCLC members and outsourced our cataloging and processing with vendors other than just B&T, asking them all to use the OCLC number in the 001 field. As a result, we have a hodge podge of record numbers in the 001 field. We ideally would like to have just OCLC numbers in the 001 field. Is this possible to do when we get the files back from OCLC? If I download the files back into our database will the OCLC number overlay whatever number is currently in the 001 field? If I download the files back into our database will I wipe out our call numbers? If I download the files back into our database will I wipe out any local subject headings we have added (we don't have a lot, but we do have some)? I felt fairly confident sending the files to OCLC so that our holdings on OCLC would be accurate. I have no confidence in what I should do once OCLC has finished with our files. I have no load table training. I am the only librarian who has a working knowledge of OCLC. I don't want to screw up our database.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!