IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Chad Beecroft
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Thursday, 18 August 2016
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hey all,

I've looked around for this and I haven't come up with anything. Is there a way to scan a barcode to change the status of that item? An example would be wanting to scan a bin of items to a 'storage' status. Is there a way to do this in the SDA? Some other workaround? Seems basic but I don't see anything obvious.

Thanks.
Comment
  1. Guest
  2. 3 years ago
I had been looking through the Clearing House for a simple way to upload a list of barcodes as well.
However, recently we've been trialing the Mobile Worklists app for iPhone/iPad. With it you can scan a bunch of barcodes using the camera on the phone to create a list and then export to Sierra. In Create lists, you just select an empty review file and copy the uploaded list into it. Then you make whatever global change to the list you want.
The app is really easy to use and is by far the easiest way of getting a list of scanned barcodes into Sierra.
  1. Chad Beecroft
  2. 3 years ago
I should also mention that we are Sierra.
  1. Chad Beecroft
  2. 3 years ago
Can you tell me the format of the text file I'm importing to the review file? I tried importing a small, comma-delimited list of item barcodes but that didn't seem to work. It just came back to the Import Records pop-up and didn't create the list so I'm assuming my syntax is bad. I see docs on exporting from a review file but not on importing to one. Thanks.
  1. Guest
  2. 3 years ago
We use the 'copy use' field. We wand everything we want to change and this puts a '1' in that field. Then we gather them into create lists by this field and globally update. We use this all the time.
  1. Guest
  2. 3 years ago
Hi Chad,
Well you could scan the records to a review file and then global update the review file.
You create a review file with one item that needs to be changed, then open the list to see the contents, you then see the 'add' button appear. You can then scan the barcode to the item list and it will add.

Otherwise scan the barcodes to a txt file and import them into review files.

Hope this helps.
Suzanne
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Chad,

You can use Rapid Update to scan the barcode and change the status. Information can be found in the manual: Sierra Guide > Maintaining Records > Rapid Updating of Records.

Leigh
Comment
  1. Guest
  2. 3 years ago
We've tried the app and it is very fast and easy to use.
  1. Chad Beecroft
  2. 3 years ago
Wow, these are great options, thanks so much. I also came across a sierra moblle app for tablets (and phones I think) called Worklists which lets you use the camera to scan a barcode with an option to send your list to create lists. Probably not fast enough for this application but it could be useful for something else. Thanks again.

Chad
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this post but you are not allowed to view the replies from this post.