IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Bruce Eames
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Wednesday, 14 August 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hi All,
I can't recall if the Create Lists display always did this but currently in our system on Sierra 4.3 the display of lists in the SDA constantly refreshes. So you highlight a list to work on and if you don't take an action on it within a second or two e.g. search, sort, export, the display refreshes and hey presto a different list is then highlighted.

It's driving me nuts.

If the behaviour did exist before it wasn't this disruptive.

Is anyone else finding this?

Bruce.

bme@unimelb.edu.au
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Nope, doesn't happen to me. I also haven't heard any reports about it from staff. We are on Sierra 4.3.0_11 for a few months already.
Olga.

kalachinskayao@douglascollege.ca
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Yes, this happens with us as well. It started quite a few updates ago, can't remember when (we're on 4.3.0_11, and know for sure it was 4.1). It is incredibly frustrating. I'm always worried I'm going to override/erase someone else's list.

alison.pruntel@fauquiercounty.gov
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Further to this I also now find that if I have my SDA in the create lists workflow but I am in another program on my PC, the SDA icon can keep glowing in the taskbar and on occasion Windows will flick back to the SDA from another program
against my will.

Really starting to annoy me… But hard to replicate/ capture for a ticket…

Bruce.

Bruce Eames | Library Systems Administrator ILMS

Collection Access & Delivery | Student and Scholarly Services

Level 4, Thomas Cherry Building (201), 787 Swanston Street

The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia

T:
+61 3 8344 4236
E: bme@unimelb.edu.au

unimelb.edu.au | http://facebook.com/unimelb | http://twitter.com/unimelb

From: Innovative Users Group <discussions@innovativeusers.org>

Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:40 AM

To: Bruce Eames <bme@unimelb.edu.au>

Subject: [IUG] [#13592]: You have posted a new question - Create Lists display constantly refreshing

New Question Posted

You have created a new discussion
Create Lists display constantly refreshing in Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore

Hello,

This is a notification to let you know that you have created new discussion on the site. You may find the snippet of the new discussion below:

Hi All,

I can't recall if the Create Lists display always did this but currently in our system on Sierra 4.3 the display of lists in the SDA constantly refreshes. So you highlight a list to work on and if you don't take an action on it within a second or two e.g. search,
sort, export, the display refreshes and hey presto a different list is then highlighted.

It's driving me nuts.

If the behaviour did exist before it wasn't this disruptive.

Is anyone else finding this?

Bruce.

[email]bme@unimelb.edu.au[/email]

Read
this discussion

bme@unimelb.edu.au
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Bruce, I ended up putting in a ticket (#794916) which was assigned to Rod Lawlor. Here is what he told me (related to focus behavior for sorted review files), and I believe he's sending to Software Engineering as a defect. You could put in a ticket as well, refer to mine? I'm definitely going to put something in about this in the Create Lists Idea Lab challenge.

BTW, here is a link to what I often see/experience when using Create Lists - https://fauquierlibrary.org/fauqp-794916/

From: Innovative Ticket Notification <TicketNotification@iii.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:32 PM
To: Pruntel,Alison <Alison.Pruntel@fauquiercounty.gov>
Subject: Ticket #794916: Create Lists - Refreshing

Hi Alison,

I went back and did one more test to check the cursor focus behavior, and found that I am seeing a difference. In Millennium, if the review files are sorted by created date, and I create a new search, that file immediately resorts to the bottom of the list, the user's view is moved to the bottom of the list, and the resorted file is highlighted as the selected file.

In Sierra, the new search also moves to the bottom of the list, but the focus remains in the same position that that original file was at, which means that a new file is now highlighted instead of the file where the new search was created.

I think this must be the aspect of Create Lists file sorting that is causing problems for users, and is something I could send to Software Engineering as a defect. If Innovative changed the focus behavior in Sierra for sorted review files, to match what I'm seeing in Millennium, do you think this would address the issue you've been running into?

Thanks, Rod

From: Innovative Ticket Notification <TicketNotification@iii.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:43 PM
To: Pruntel,Alison <Alison.Pruntel@fauquiercounty.gov>
Subject: Ticket #794916: Create Lists - Refreshing

Hi Alison,

I've done some testing on old servers for both Sierra and Millennium, and I'm seeing the same behavior as you're seeing in Sierra 4.3. I tested on Sierra 2.1, which was released December 2015, and tested Millennium 2014 SP3. I first sorted the list of review files, then selected a review file and created a new search. In both Sierra and Millennium, the file that I'm created the new search on, automatically resorts to the bottom of the list, without the user taking any action to resort that file.

Where the system can have multiple users working with Create Lists at the same time, this type of refreshing needs to happen. I can see where Innovative might possibly be able to change the behavior so that a sort may not refresh, but it is necessary that other types of actions need to refresh immediately. For example, if one user selects a review file to create a new search, that review file needs to be unavailable to other users for searching.

It seems that there is likely a certain aspect of this behavior that customers are seeing that is different. If you are able to identify and describe that specific part of the behavior that has changed and can be replicated, please let me know and I'll test further and will send to Software Engineering if appropriate.

If we can't find that a defect or new behavior has been introduced into Sierra Create Lists, then I would suggest that we treat this as an enhancement request, describing the behavior users would prefer to see. Enhancement requests can be submitted via Idea Lab:

Idea Lab: Always Open Space
https://idealab.iii.com/alwaysopen/Page/Overview

Idea Lab: How it works
https://idealab.iii.com/alwaysopen/Page/HowItWorks

I've been told that the next challenge in Idea Lab will be related to further development of Create Lists. The challenge hasn't been opened yet, but I'm expecting it to open in September.

Regards, Rod

Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Yes, I am experiencing the same sorts of Create Lists oddities that have been mentioned here, but slightly different. I have tickets open for the focus of the list changing while I am editing records from a list. I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts and while moving from record to record, I will sometimes notice that instead of moving through the list of records which is in the top window, the focus of the cursor is moving up and down through the list of lists in the background window. Like Alison, I am afraid that when I finish and close the list I am working on, I will empty someone else's file, because the focus has shifted to another list in the background.

The other issue I'm experiencing is after working with a number of lists and emptying them, if I sort by date, I find empty files with no date interfiled with completed files with dates. The only solution given was to dedup the file and then empty it again. This broke with 4.1 or 4.2 and still is not working as of 5.0 beta.

But the problem is it can't be replicated, therefore it can't be fixed. :(
--Karen Perone, Rodman Public Library and Active Create List User

Untitled-1.jpg

flutebrarian@gmail.com
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!