IUG FORUM

Stay always connected!
  1. Phil Shirley
  2. Sierra/ Millennium/ Encore
  3. Wednesday, 14 August 2019
  4.  Subscribe via email
We’re having a problem printing Sierra notices to the new printers we got. We can print other things from Sierra, but nothing under "notices"; when we try, the printer will make noise (rollers and fan) for a moment but not output any paper. We can print to other models of printers.

We’re hosted. The printers are model HP LaserJet Pro M404dn; the local workstation connects to them through the network, not USB. I’ve tried different printers and different workstations and they all work the same.

I’ve re-installed the SDA. I’ve looked for settings to change; these printers can do duplex, and do it by default, so I changed two-sided to one-sided in appearance under select printer, but that didn't help.

When I watch the list of print jobs on the workstation, a "java printing" job appears briefly and the status appears as "deleting" and then it goes away. (Normal print jobs appear as "spooling" before they go away.)

Any ideas?

Phil

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Here's something to try that has helped me with printing issues in the past: try running the SDA as administrator. (If you are on Windows 10, open the list of programs, find Sierra Desktop App and right-click, choose More, and choose "Run as administrator," and then try printing from that instance of SDA.)

This assumes you have administrative rights to your machine. If not, you'll have to get someone who does to try this. If this is the answer, you can make the change permanent this way: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/always-run-a-program-in-administrator-mode-in-windows-10/

Margaret Sylvia
Assistant Director for Technical Services
St. Mary's University Blume Library
msylvia@stmarytx.edu

msylvia@stmarytx.edu
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Hi Phil, we have a new model of HP printer IT has been installing in circ departments and we have issues with printing notices -- which uses the "Form" printer in the SDA by the way (I think that's the only circulation process that uses that). We haven't seen exactly what you're seeing, but similar. Changing the driver seems to fix it. We use the HP Universal PCL 6. I don't know if that will fix it, but worth a shot for you if you haven't tried it yet. 
Good luck!
Printers are the worst.
Renee Brumett
Electronic Resources Librarian
Springfield-Greene County Library District
4653 S. Campbell Ave.
Springfield, MO 65810
417-616-0622

IUG Past Chair 2019-20

reneeb@thelibrary.org
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Thanks, Margaret and Renee. The driver solved the problem.

pshirley@cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Phil Shirley
Technology Services Coordinator
Cuyahoga Falls Library
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!