Re: [IUG] Diacritics

Leo--

The Millennium client is a Java application and has it's own problems. A good page that explains display problems on a variety of platforms, including Java, and gives some possible solutions can be found at http://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html from Unicode, Inc.

John C. Hammer, MMus, MLIS
Automation Librarian
San Antonio College Library
1001 Howard St.
San Antonio, TX 78212
(210)733-2669 (v) (210)733-2597 (f)
jhammer at accd dot edu

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:46:02 -0400 (EDT)
"Leo Papa" <papal at cantonpl dot org> wrote:

> Michael
>
> I'm not an apologist for Microsoft, but their support page suggests Arial
> Unicode MS should only be used as a default when, "you cannot use multiple
> fonts that are tuned for different writing systems".
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q287247/#appliesto
>
> One of the issues I have with the Arial Unicode MS is that is it now
> appears to be a propriety font. One cannot download it for free if they
> do not have an MS product that provides it.
> http://www.orwell.ru/test/download/ascender
>
> If this problem is exclusively caaused by MS (specifically Internet
> Explorer) why does it occur in Millennium cataloging? Is this just a
> matter of properly enabling Unicode in Millennium?
>
> Leo

[deletia]