Re: Update D & IE5 on Macintosh

Thanks, Nancy.  Edward is right -- it should probably be a POST method
rather than a PUT method.

I could reproduce the same thing in your catalog and my own with MSIE 5
under MacOS 9.  The problem does seem to be in the HTML code:

<CENTER><FORM METHOD = PUT
ACTION="/search/ttime/ttime/1,38,43,B/holdings&F=ttime&1,1,">
<INPUT TYPE = "SUBMIT" VALUE="View additional copies or search for a
specific volume/copy">
<INPUT TYPE = "TEXT" NAME = "volume" SIZE = 6>
</FORM></CENTER><P>

That should probably be 'METHOD="POST"'.  Also, for the record, there
shouldn't be any spaces between the attribute name and its value.  I
can't find the exact citation in the standard...the closest I can get
is
<http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.
2.2> where it says: "Any number of (legal) attribute value pairs,
separated by spaces, may appear in an element's start tag."  If spaces
separate attribute-value pairs, one would presume that they are not
allowed in the middle of such pairs.

Edward -- I've seen the extraneous <HTML> and <HEAD> tags in the HTML
for years.  The concept that their HTML should validate against any
sort of DTD has been lost on Innovative from their very first version
of the WebPAC despite many attempts to convince them what a good idea
it would be.

To clarify something you said: the file-upload function uses POST in
addition to the different Content-type.  PUT "requests that the
enclosed entity be stored under the supplied Request-URI. If the
Request-URI refers to an already existing resource, the enclosed entity
SHOULD be considered as a modified version of the one residing on the
origin server. If the Request-URI does not point to an existing
resource, and that URI is capable of being defined as a new resource by
the requesting user agent, the origin server can create the resource
with that URI."
<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.6>  Since I
suspect the intention was not to create an entity on the INNOPAC
server, this is a bug.

This is clearly an Innovative problem.  The fact that it works with
MSIE under Windows and Navigator under any platform is a happy
accident.  One hopes that they will finally see the light and follow
through with their plan to clean up the HTML as they said they would do
for the next version.  Just because it works in a popular browser, it
doesn't mean it is correct.

Please pardon the rant.  I've been struggling with Innovative on this
ever since we beta tested the WebPAC code at CWRU.

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut

--
This message was distributed through the Innovative Users Group INNOPAC list.
Private replies:  Peter Murray <PMurray@xxxxxxxxxx>